Tuesday 29 April 2014

The Boy who Wouldn't Pray for Rain

Long summer passed along,
the earth dry in every way.
Finally arrived, that beautiful day,
When all the skies turn a deep dark grey.
Black clouds, fragrant earth the thunder clap and all,
But the adamant rain for weeks didn't fall.

"I will not let it rain" in anger said God,
"But why?" asked Gabriel among the angels,
So He replied to them all,
"The boy prayed every year for the rainfall,
so I would send a watery wall mighty and tall,
He would yell to the sky, 'is that all?'
So a mighty storm I would send to quench his angry call.
It makes me sad as he no more believes,
That I control the fire, the earth, the water and trees,
That I have power over the perennial breeze, 
That I can make him squeal if I so choose,
He doesn't pray any more because he thinks it of no use."

"How happy was I to fuel his madness for the rain,
The lightning, and thunder crack caused his eyes and ears no pain.
How he loved when the land, over grew like the beard of a sage,
He would walk with the ants, the buffalo among the tall grass blades.
He now sulks because his monsoon escape is no more,
Gone are the blanket tents, the warmth of the fire wood stove."

"The biggest mistake I made was not that I gave him free will to think,
It was placing his soul among the concrete, no streams, no trees, no Kalu the dog, no lake, no stony road, no clean air and no tall grass in which to sink."

"So finally this one last day I'll let it infinitely pour,
And with all my love I want him to know,
That come the monsoon next year I will let it mercilessly rain,
I promise to shower him with all of my pain.
The pain that he caused me because he seized to believe,
That I am in every drop of water and in all the air that he breathes."


No comments:

Post a Comment